Friday, August 13, 2010

A family of Professional Thieves in the store today


1st, this hispanic VERY heavy lady walks in, to browse. Moments later, a young guy, also hispanic, is asking me about contact lenses we sell (the display is at the front register counter). Third, 20-ish girl asked me to help her with "Legwarmer tights" 30 feet away from the registers. (I assume, she was reading the large signs on the wall  as though it was one thing... she's clearly not a dancer).
I told the girl, I'd call out someone to help her because I was "already helping the gentleman". (She wanted me to leave the registers unsupervised!!) She looked panicked and said not to call for more help, that she needed ME to help her. I said, I'd call a girl who works the dance department.
My coworker, Ashley came immediately out, from the back of the store, and talked to the young girl at length about tights (fabric of each, differences...). 
The older browsing lady was joined by her hubby at some point while I was balancing talking to the young guy and calling out help for the girl, making a total of 4 customers in the store. 
I couldn't see where the woman was, but the older man was on our "Around the world" aisle looking at a sheik costume. I assumed his wife was further down the same aisle, out of my sight.
The young guy I was talking to, had like run out of questions about the contacts. And started to repeat himself. (red flag) I maintained standing near the registers, where I could both talk to him and see the older man. I never left the registers, since he was acting fishy.

Then the older lady re-appeared, chased by Rick!!! 

Moments before: From watching security camera footage, we learned the very second Ashley walked out of the back room, the older lady went into the back and straight upstairs to Rick's office! 

His office is a crow's nest, looking over the entire store. There is an office, inside the larger office, where Rick keeps his desks. Rick was in his inner office, with the door only open a crack. 

The lady couldn't see Rick, sitting at his computer. She reached in the room and grabbed the bank-deposit bag off of his desk. He turned from the computer and said, "Hey, what are you doing!?!?!" 
She dropped the bag and said she was up there to talk about applying for a job (said in perfect English). She quickly exited down the stairs. 
Then near the front counter she and her hubby both started trying to talk to me near the front counter in something similar to Spanish (maybe Portuguese?). This confused me, because she had already been talking in perfect English. Us distract, the young guy and girl ran off to the parking lot. 

Then the older couple RAN out to the parking lot...the young ones had already started the get-away car. Rick chased them. I grabbed my digital camera, then chased too, but they drove away BACKWARDS peeling-out of the mall parking lot completely backwards the entire way until the main road!!!! They didn't want Rick to get their license plate. 

Long story short (too late) nothing was stolen, but we definately saw professional thieves at work here. They divided up, trying to distract each of us. Rick was glad I refused to leave the register area, and had called out assistance. The mall security saw sketches I drew of the thieves faces. There is camera footage, that will be turned in to the police, but since the cameras are from above, my sketches helped. :)

No comments: