Monday, September 15, 2008

Conversations

I haven't heard from my mom since Sept. 11th. She lives in Houston and planned to wait out the storm. I think her power is out. She always leaves her answering machine on, and when I called on the 12th, her phone just rang and rang. Yesterday and today when I've called, I just get a busy signal.

I got a message from Mark on my phone on the 13th. When I call my brother's cellphone it says all lines are busy. So I haven't been able to check in on him yet.

In other news: We met with Elaine's principal on Sept. 11th. She said that the 5th graders have super low test scores for Earth Science, so the school is trying to foster interest in science and the earth with the younger kids. So ALL the kindergarten classes will be doing the Pledge to the Earth. So moving Elaine to a different class wouldn't do her any good. They resolution we came to is that the line "Namaste" has been removed from the pledge's poster and replaced with the word "peace".
I think the logic about fostering young interest in science leading to improved earth science grades is faulty. Like, just because a kid is interested in piano music, doesn't mean they can produce the music.

My diploma came in the mail. The mailman left it on our porch in the rain! How dumb is that?! One corner got damp, so it's a little curled. When we can frame it, I don't think the wrinkle will be obvious.

I'm getting even less hours at work this week. It's right at 40 hours. I've been getting some scrapbooking done and cleaned most of my office with the extra time I've had lately. There is a lot to be organized at the new store before our October rush hits. So Rick is debating the idea of letting me come in early to work on organizing the storage area. It needs to get done.

Last night I let Elaine play with some of my clay. She made an angel sculpture and painted it with watercolor. She doesn't know yet that Allan already broke one of the wings. I'll take a picture later.

No comments: