Thursday, February 02, 2006

Yay. I'm having a good day

Last night I had to trace some Drafting homework over to a new sheet of paper because Allan crumpled up the original. It took about 90 minutes. That wasn't fun at all. I also pulled up more internet research for the play.

Today before class I drew my "Authoratative" statue. I already drew an original male nude in the classical statue style yesterday. The authority-guy is in long robes. He has some books to his left and a globe to his right. He is holding a sword and a large book. I drew him up pretty fast based on mixing some other statues and paintings I've found online.

When I took my sketchbook to class this afternoon, Randal was VERY pleased. He showed me his nice new sketch of the Scapino set. It looks great! He drew in a statue of a plain statue with a sword and another of a couple naked and embraced.... He said that he loved my sketch of teh authority guy and doesn't want anything changed on him. **Happy Dance**

I told him that I was bored with the Youth statue I had drawn, so I was glad that his set design was opening the doors to me doing less traditional statues. I showed him some research I had of couples embracing (covers of romance novels i printed from the internet). He directed me to draw up some examples of my ideas and he's okay one of them tomorrow. On Tuesday I'd have to present my statue designs to the Production staff (the Director and all my professors).

I started to draw up a man carrying a woman like he was carrying his bride over a threashhold. Randal saw it and his criticism was "More sex". The whole class laughed wondering what Randal was looking at on my desk. :)) He wants the male and female to be embraced and standing.... but less romance, more lustful. I have to draw these up tonight because there is a Set Design meeting tomorrow afternoon.

Randal also said for us to start coming up with gags for the set. I made a suggestion about a clown character hiding under the robes of my authoratative statue. To balance that gag, I suggested that the other (nude couple) statue starts out draped in fabric and then their sheet is ripped away. Randal is gonna suggest these ideas to the director at the meeting on Tuesday. All around, it seems like I'm pleasing the Set Designer.
side note: he saw how fast I was drawing the nudes and said that I seem to have no trouble drawing human bodies, whereas he fumbles with them and is better at drawing architecture. I think my assignment to work on the statues is a good fit for me.
---------
Jimmy showed some of my work to a buddy of his that owns a produce store. It sounds like this Summer I am gonna paint the window of the produce place. It's like 20 feet wide.

In other news: our neighbor Ronny called to see if I could babysit his sons this summer. His wife wants to take this new job she's been offered. She'll need childcare for her kids when the boys aren't in school. I'll be watching my own kids anyways so it is tempting to watch two more and earn some money. The boys are like 8 and 13. I think I'd watch them over at their trailor, since their's is wider and the boys would have their own toys and video games. I'm thinking it over. (This summer I am only taking one class and it's only one night per week.)

No comments: