Friday, May 19, 2006

Jimmy's new Job!

Every couple of weeks we find a random newspaper in our driveway that we haven't ordered. When I find it, I go ahead, bring it in a check for coupons and the comic strips. This this on Wednesday when the paper arrived, I browsed the Classifieds because I've been keeping an eye out for a used dresser for the kids. I saw a handful of ads for jobs cooking. I circled them and told Jim and a friend about the jobs.

Jim has been keeping an eye out for another job. He has reached the top of the payscale at his current job ($9) and we need him to earn more than that. Also, driving back and forth to Ponder,TX 6 days a week is really adding up on our Gasoline costs.

Yesterday Jim had me cut his hair and trim up his beard. He put on his chef's jacket and applied at two places. This morning he heard back from the place that he prefered of the two. They wanted to interview him this afternoon. It's a Senior Citizen community between my old apartment (when I was single) and the hospital where our kids were born; right near UNT campus. They were looking for a Prep Cook. That means the cook that chops all the veggies and prepares all the ingrediants to be cooked by someone else. Jim had me iron his chef jacket for today's interview. HE LOOKED SHARP!

The interviewer asked him very little questions and went right into showing him around the kitchen. It's a much larger/nicer kitchen than where he currently works. Jimmy was pleased with that. They hired Jimmy this afternoon. His starting pay is more than he earns now at Ranchmans (and he had to get a couple raises to earn the $9 in Ponder). He will work from lunchtime until 8pm at the senior community, called The Vintage. Jim is starting off working part-time, but that will only last like 2 weeks. Then he'll be full time at the Vintage.

Jim went to work tonight at Ranchman's. He is gonna ask for Mon-Thursday off from Ranchmans, but he doesn't want to leave them without their fastest cook for this weekend's rush or next weekend. He says he wants to help Ranchman's until they can replace them. They hired a young girl chef a couple weeks back who is catching on quickly, and she wants more hours. So this might work out well for everyone. Jimmy doesn't want to burn his bridges at Ranchman's because he has befriended the head chef, Gary.

After talking to Jimmy, I learned today that ALL the classes he needs to graduate are offered online by Devry. And he's gonna go that route, as to not delay his graduation in October. Since he's working from lunchtime until 8pm from now on, I'll have to take early morning classes when my school starts back up in late August.. *yuck* It's for the best for our family. With Jimmy getting home around 8pm instead of Midnight or later, it will be easier for us to get a good night's rest... so early classes will be manageable (*or so I pray*). Well, I think that's everything.. Be praying for this transition to go smoothly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of JImmy wanting to get his education in October. I am glad to hear that he has better hours, also. Hope

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, I meant completing his education in Octber. Keep up the good work Congratulations on the new job
Hope