Tuesday, August 22, 2006

To Graduate

This week I’ve been spending a lot of time plotting out my schedule for this semester and doing my best to estimate the fastest and most beneficial way to graduate. I’m gonna list out what I need to graduate and how it needs to happen.

::Still required to graduate with a BA degree in Theatre Design and a Minor in Drawing::
Spanish 3
Spanish 4
Lighting Design
Senior Colloquium
Art Appreciation for Majors
Drawing Studio
16 more hours of 3000 or 4000 level classes
One math class higher than Algebra


:: Fix Incompletes::
Costume 1
World Theatre to 1700

To take Spanish 3, I’d have to either test into that level of competency OR take the two elementary-level classes that precede it. I was registered for Spanish one last fall, but I had to drop ALL my classes when my surgery was scheduled for the first day of classes. When I tried to register for Spanish this fall, the class is already full.

My plan ‘B’ is looking more and more appealing. I applied for acceptance to Midland College. It’s a junior college like Devry or NCTC. Midland offers Spanish one online and it costs significantly less than UNT for the same class. Spanish one at UNT costs $562 dollars for tuition plus more for fees. Where as Spanish at Midland would cost $299 including tuition and fees. Spanish at UNT also requires attendance 4 days a week, plus a lab; so the online class at Midland sounds so appealing. I’ll let yall know if I get accepted to Midland and how the whole Spanish situation works out.

Lighting Design and Senior Colloquium are theatre classes I need, that aren’t available this semester.

Before I decided to Minor in drawing, I took Art Appreciation for NON-majors. Now I am required to take the same class at a more difficult level. At least I already own the textbook. Drawing Studio is my final class to finish off the requirements for my Minor. I have to pass a portfolio review in the spring before I can take this final class.

42 upper-level hours are required to graduate from the theatre department. I get upper level hours every time I work on a play or take ANY class in ANY department that is at a 3000/4000 level. I only have 16 more upper level hours to go. This is where I can have fun with my schedule, taking religion-related classes and anything else like that. To get financial aide each semester I have to take at least 12 hours of classes, so needed classes like this come in handy.

I need a level of math higher than algebra. My advisor suggests that I take Statistics at NCTC, because they don’t require me to take algebra first. This plan would have me taking one math class instead of 2, which should get me graduating sooner. Again, Junior colleges are cheaper than UNT, so that’s an added benefit too.


This Fall’s schedule might change in the next two weeks, but for now…

Design 2
Design 2 lab
Renaissance History (upper level)
Marriage and Family (upper level)
Americans Culture in Society (upper level) -ONLINE
Intro to Physics Lab (retake- since I got an ‘F’ last Spring)

Hopefully adding: Spanish One ONLINE from Midland College
(Also, I'm fixing my Incompletes from Dec 2002)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy didn't get hired by the Mexican restaraunt, but he has a phone-interview coming up with the Denton Elk’s lodge. It’s a PT job for Wednesdays and Fridays cooking; mainly chicken fried steaks and mashed potatoes. The guy who called from the Elk's lodge earlier today knows our Pastor, Chuck.

No comments: