Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday on Campus(es)

My boss, Regina, and I organized a bunch of Flapper-themed accessories the other day. There was a set of white beads that didn't match any of the other flappers. Regina gave me the set of large white beads. I like them a bunch! I've been wearing them almost daily.

Guilty admission: I have the song, "Rockstar", from Nickelback stuck in my head. I keep catching myself humming it. If you don't know the song, it's message is so not right with Christ.

I had a productive day today. I had a 10am meeting with my academic adviser, Ana Martinez. She filled out her portion of my concurrent enrollment form. This is the form that has to be filled out by people at all my colleges, so I get more financial aide than if I only declared my attendance at UNT. Ana completed her portion of the form, said that I am still all set to graduate in August. She also offered an interesting suggestion.
Since I took my online computer skills class as an elective (just to meet the financial aide requirement for minimum hours), I have the option of taking this class "pass/no pass". This means that the class could not help or hurt my GPA.
If I earned anything from an A to D in the class, it'd still just say "Pass" on my transcript. This is a good option, if I didn't expect to Ace the class. I could spend more of my time focussing on the classes that truly matter.
If I decide to go for this, all I'd have to do is meet with Ana again and she'd fill out a form. Tempting!

After meeting with Ana, I walked the concurrent enrollment form over to UNT's registrar and had them do their part. Tonight Jimmy drove me to NCTC early for my night school class. NCTC's registrar and financial aide office completed their portion of the form too. I'm feeling really on top of things. All that's left is to FAX the form to Midland College for them to fill in their portion. Once all this jumping through hoops is complete, UNT will decide if I get to keep all my grants, as though I was a full time student at UNT.

Tonight I finally had success finding my last text book! NCTC had re-stocked their Excel manuals. It was $52. I'm consoled by the fact that it's essential to passing my Statistics class... which makes it worth it.

Other good news: Today in the mail, we learned that the kids' Medicaid has been re-newed. No verdict yet on the food stamps (we've gone a month without them!), but the Health and Human services office has a phone-interview scheduled with Jimmy for Monday morning.

For $2 (including S&H) on ebay I bought a sewing pattern for little girl dresses. It's a brand new pattern, still in package and has patterns to make 6 styles of little girl dresses. It's for dresses sized 5,6 & 7. So when I'm not in school this summer, I can stitch up some summer dresses for Elaine. She'll get a whole summer wardrobe for the price of fabric. That's worth the $2 investment. :)

No comments: