Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bracing for Impact: We're about to lose a friend

Pics of Fumie with baby Elaine (2002)


Allan called and emailed us the other day to let us know that Fumie had a heart attack last Tuesday. She went to the hospital and they learned that she had this and that infection, which postponed the ability to test Fumie for different blockages. They discovered today that Fumie has calcium deposits INSIDE her arteries and needs a heart surgery for her to live. Fumie said "no". She essentially put her foot down that she is done. Fumie is on a dopamine drip for now to keep her blood pressure up.
When I got a call telling me about Fumie's decision, I talked to my boss and got off work early tonight. My family met Dave at the hospital in Garland. The kids waited in the waiting room while we all took turns visiting with Fumie and Allan. She is ready to go. She told me that she didn't know how long it would take.
Allan talked a lot about practical things. He said that he wants to make plans and decisions now, before he's running on auto-pilot. He wants Mary and I to go through Fumie's closet and clean it out in the very near future. There wont be a funeral. Fumie doesn't want one. There will be a viewing before she's creamated. She wants her ashes put at the Dallas Arboretum since she loves the flowers.

No comments: