Friday, November 17, 2006

A Reprieve from Stress...and Holidays are coming!

ahhh *Relief* I turned in my history research paper this morning. I stayed up late for days working on it, after the kids had gone to bed. We were told to write 10 pages, but no other formating guidelines (font size, margin size, etc). I gave up at 9pages of research and commentary+3 photocopied pages of related artwork that I discussed in the paper + the works cited and cover page. I felt like it's a 'B' paper since I gave up at 9 pages. THEN I got to class and noticed that most the classmates around me had double-spaced their papers. Apparently that's the norm in the history department. So, in actuality I wrote like an 18 page paper without realizing it. I hope I didn't still get a B.
I finally understand that there is a wierd point system in place in both my Sociology class and my Anthropology class. Apparently I'm doing better than I thought in both. I got 68 "points" on my Sociology midterm and was freaking out until my professor told me that only 300 points are neccesary for the class. Evidently 68 points is not the same as 68%... she wrote "good job" on my test, so I guess I'm doing something right.
I also had an online Spanish quiz tonight, that I got a 90 on. Now that those tasked have been mastered for the time being, I can kinda relax. I have 2 more huge papers to write for other classes by the end of the semester. But they aren't immediate worries. I'm already working on them, but taking my time. There are like 3 weeks left of school.

Current priorities:
Finish the Youth Newsletter
Finish painting the hallway -already have the supplies, might as well finish the job.
Do the charcoal portrait that I planned to do last weekend.
Be supportive for Jimmy and the kids. (these are in no particular order by the way.)

Jimmy is looking for a fulltime position somewhere. He wants to stop working at the Thrifty Nickel, but he's waiting for something better to come along. This bully co-worker was about to take a swing at Jimmy last week because Jimmy wouldn't move our car, for the guy to use that parking space. Jim was sitting in the car, with the window down. The guy approached him and raised his fist, but saw the Big Boss and didn't swing. That was last week. Jimmy avoided the bully today. He just doesn't want to get dragged into anything. He doesn't get enough hours at the Thrifty Nickel for it to pay off. And the job takes a toll on the car, driving around delivering the papers. Everything is still going great at the Elk's Lodge though. He's happy the two days a week when he's cooking.
Jim is gonna go job hunting on Saturday, after I give him a haircut. Soon I'll be done for the semester, so any job he lands now would begin about the time I'm on Christmas break and can watch the kids. I can plan my Spring class schedule AROUND his work schedule- I never register until a week before the semester starts. The only exception is that I know I'll need to have some time available for painting for the theatre in the Spring.

Speaking of Holiday breaks, Thanksgiving is a week away. Last I heard, my mom and brother are arriving in Denton at 6am on Wednesday morning. The bus station is 5 minutes from our house. Jimmy has to work at the Elk's lodge at 7am that day, so we're praying that God's hand is evident in how the timing works out. If the bus is on time (or even up to 20 minutes late) Jimmy should be on time to the Elk's lodge. I joked that once Mark and Berta are here, they'll have to wait 2 more hours for my kids to wake up (Warning: Elaine is not a morning person). The church is giving us a Turkey again this year, so that should help feed the extra mouths. I think we are gonna try making pumpkin pie this year for the first time. That should be fun. We have cans of the pumpkin filling and a pie crust is easy to make. I guess that's my update for now. toodles.

No comments: