Sunday, November 04, 2007

about working

On day two of finishing the window display for Thanksgiving, I gave my bosses a good laugh, by wearing my hair in braids like the wig on the Native American mannequin. Regina cracked up!

A woman tried on this princess gown at work the on Thursday. She had it zipped half way up her back and the zipper wouldn't budge up or down. Some fabric got tangled up into the zipper all gnarly. Amy CUT the woman out of the dress!! (fumbling with Amy, my fingernails scratched her forehead). The woman STILL wanted to rent the dress and pick it up for a party on Saturday. She's rented and worn the same dress from the shop 4 years in a row for the same occasion. Rick said he wanted me to put in the new zipper by Saturday. I've only sewn one zipper by machine before, so I was nervous about working on this ball gown. I started sewing it into the dress with the sewing machine at work, but it wasn't going well. There are these round golden beads that hang like dingleberries all over the dress. I broke two sewing machine needles when I couldn't dodge beads, right next to the zipper. I ended up hand sewing in the rest of the zipper, since we were down to one sewing machine needle. I was super proud when I finished the zipper, given my nervousness about working on the ball gown.

Rick brought most of the Santa's down from the attic. I had to go through all their accessory bags to make sure every one had white gloves, a hat, bootcovers, a belt, glasses, a wig and beard.
The shop is switching back to a Dance focus, with Halloween being over. So we've been consolidating the costume that are out on the racks and bringing out more formal and dance wear.

I went to the Hearts & Heroes AIDS fundraiser last night for my communication class. The mayor was there and a lot of city council. The man who signed my form, said he doesn't care how many hours I put down on the form, since my group worked really hard compared to some other volunteers who showed up.
We helped winners from the Silent Auction carry their items out to their cars. I moved this mirror made of Italian glass and held my breath most of the way. :)) Only 3 of us from my team showed up at the event. So I'm pretty curious what the other two girls were up to.


1 comment:

The Moo said...

Good job on the zipper repair!