Thursday, June 21, 2007

EKG and a Starter

This morning Jimmy worked delivering the Thrifty Nickels. While he was out, he talked to the people at Kolache Depot again. They say he has good odds of getting a weekend job with them. Just Saturdays and Sundays. He'll know soon. Then Jimmy fetched me for the exercise study over at TWU. Yesterday Josh had his technicians run me through this machine that looked a lot like a cat scan, but wasn't. It searched for the density of my bones vs. muscles/organs vs. fat. After the scan thingy, the female technicians did a skin fold test (pulling on my pudge and measuring it). So today's tests were a continuation of all the pre-tests before my big exercise session. I had an EKG to begin with.
Then they had me wear a mouth piece, heart monitors and blood pressure cuff and had me walk on a treadmill. They wanted to chart my comfort range for exercise, so they'll know what to set the treadmill at for the big exercise session next month. The treadmill started super slow; so slow that walking was very awkward. Then they increased the incline of the treadmill and slowly accelerated the speed at 3 minute intervals. I was only on there about 20 minutes. Josh said one great thing is that withing 90 seconds of ending the exercise, I had almost returned to my resting heart rate. Josh said that is a sign of a healthy heart. :)
Jim picked me up and drove me home, so he could finish his paper route. Later in the afternoon, we recieved a check in the mail, so we wanted to deposit it and fetch some groceries. I sat down with the sales circular and wrote out a list. We loaded up in the van. But the van didn't start! No warning, just no sound of the engine turning over. All we heard was a "click click click." Jim says he thinks the starter stopped working. On the phone, Dave suggested that we check the fuses, but Jim says they look fine. He's coming over some time to look at the van. For now we are stranded. Micah borrowed his mom's car and drove Jim to the bank to deposit the check we received. They guys also fetched diapers, in case it's a few days before we get the van up and moving again. Micah had to return the Van to his mom, but she fed him dinner and dropped Micah back off with us. Its good to catch up with him. :) I think that's everything for today.

No comments: