Sunday, July 08, 2007

Tough Choice -Feedback please!

I haven't yet received my degree plan in the mail from UNT. And my email to the office that was supposed to mail it, hasn't been returned yet. So I don't have the paperwork and I don't have a professional to talk to today about my decision. I wont take any action yet, but this is me thinking out loud.
I want to graduate in the next 18 months, like Winter of 2008.

I know taking Costume class this summer will count toward my degree, because it is a required class to graduate with my BA in theatre design. I can't take Costume this coming fall, because I need another class that is offered at the exact same time of day. What I don't know is any reason I couldn't take this class next SPRING. Right now, I don't see any conflicts with taking it in the spring instead of this summer. Costume is an available class EVERY long semester because UNT needs the sewing help for the large plays and musicals.

I was all revd up to take the class starting this Monday, but I am second guessing it.
Main thoughts:
*I should be able to take it next Spring (baring any unforeseen changes in UNT policy)
*When I enroll for a semester, whether it's a long or summer semester, I am billed for fees to pay for the UNT athletic complex, office fees, and all sorts of misc. fees no matter how many classes I register for. It's a flat rate for every semester. Registering for only one class seems like a waste when I could take the same class later during a long semester, when I will have already paid for those fees. Like, why pay those fees for this summer if I can take the class later with a block of multiple classes?
*I got a short term loan of $800 to pay for my one summer class (fees + tuition). The loan has to be paid back to UNT before any of my Fall financial aide will be awarded to my student account to pay for my fall tuition (usually4-6 classes). As things are right now, it is unlikely that Jimmy will earn enough this summer to pay back this loan before mid August. But IF I dropped the summer class, I'd get a refund for the tuition & fees to my UNT student account, paying off the short term loan. There might be a difference to pay, like a singular interest payment but it would be much much more manageable than paying the full $800 in the next like 6 weeks. Doesn't ensuring the on-time arrival of my fall financial aide (for multiple classes) outweigh the security of having this one class under my belt?
*Hopefully Jimmy will be hired making very good money at Best Buy on Monday or Tuesday. When we hear he is hired (planning on the positive), I can make a better decision about how much of a time-conflict this one class will be. Today, we don't know what his hours will be like at the job. Maybe if he is able to work extra hours, making good money for the rest of the summer (while I'm home with the kids), we could afford daycare for Allan while I go to class this fall. Elaine should be in public school, so in theory if Allan was at day care, I could take lots of classes to work on my degree.
What I don't know:
*any UNT policy changes that could be in the works
*if any other necessary classes will be at a conflicting time in the spring... they haven't printed their rock-solid fall schedule yet and for sure haven't come up with the definate Spring class schedules
*how much exactly Jim will be paid when he is hired at Best Buy in the near future
*how much daycare actually costs locally/age ranges/hours of operation

1 comment:

The Moo said...

Ok, in my humble opinion, you should wait to take the Costume class. Since they have to have it every long semester you know it will be there. There is the risk of conflicting with another required class, but it seems the benefits far outweigh the risk. Of course, all that said, do what the Spirit leads you to!