Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Went to class today

I was on the fence still about dropping the costume class, to take it later. Then when I went to see about dropping the class online. I discovered that I wasn't allowed to. Because I had reicieved the loan for the purpose of tuition, some sort of flag was on my file, saying I had to stay enrolled in at least one class.... or go through lots of paperwork/drama. Since I was on the fence anyway, I decided to go to class. ~I figured, if things worked out and I was able to drop the class, okay. But if I wasn't able to drop the class, I wouldn't want to miss the first day of school.
Velma Gray (Loan counselor) returned my email/call this afternoon. She said that she'll put in a letter on my behalf to see if my loan can be deferred until the very end of summer. That would mean nothing is due now and nothing will gather late fees or go into collection. With that offer on the table, it felt right to stay in the class. We'll have like 6 more weeks on the loan and the way she described it on the phone made it sound like my Fall financial aid might be able to cover the loan (I wanna see that one in writing!).
Today in costume class, we went over the syllabus, toured the facilities and made hand-samplers of labeling techniques. I found out that I'll only have lab 2 days a week, not all 4. So my schedule will be 12-5 on Monday and Tuesday, and 12-2 on Wednesday and Thursday. That makes me feel better. The textbook I already have will still work for the class. Our professor, Barbara, hasn't switched editions or anything. Our first project is sewing a pillow and they provide all the materials.
There was a funny moment in class, when Barbara was going over the syllabus. She was discussing a design project that we'll have in a couple weeks. She told the class (about 13 people) that "There are people who will draw renderings that will blow you away" (Barbara stared at me for a good 3 seconds until I laughed) "but that doesn't mean they'll get a better grade." It never fails, when I take a class with Babs, she always singles me out in the first week. She did the same thing when I took 'Drawing and Rendering' with her a couple years ago. It always boosts my ego to have talented people complement my skills.

*No word from Best Buy yet.
*I was paid over $100 for my Heaven painting for the church.
* Tomorrow at 8am we have our WIC re-certification.
*I've been achy (mainly my back and neck), had sinus congestion and headaches since Sunday. It all kept me up last night and I woke up with two kids in bed with me too. I've had a slight fever off and on too. I think Allan has whatever I have, since he's been coughing too. Jim got Allan some baby tylenol and some coughdrops for me.
*Jim made homemade chili yesterday since we had a lot of dry beans in our pantry. He used turkey meat. It's yummy.
*When we got home from church yesterday, Dave was mowing our yard. :) It rained later that afternoon, so he had good timing.

No comments: