Friday, September 07, 2007

I got a job!

The kids, Jim and I ran by the Krogers on University Drive to fetch milk. Jim pointed out that next door there was a help wanted sign in the door at Denton Costume and Dance World. I told Jim to get the kids strapped into the van and I'd run over to pick up an application. They said I needed to fill it out on the spot.
They asked if I had any theatre experience, if I know anything about theatre makeup and if I'm familiar with dance at all. Lemme think... 6 years of majoring in theatre at UNT, my specializations are scenic painting and makeup design, and my best friends have always been dancers (who I helped with quick costume changes). The girl who was talking to me, lead me to the owner for an immediate interview. Meanwhile I am in shorts and a T-shirt with my hair in a bandana, since I thought I was just out fetching milk.

The owner seemed thrown that I don't drive, but I told him my hubby takes care of me. They are looking for someone to work 3 days during the week and Saturdays. My schedule is open all Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. He asked if I'd be willing to work on Sundays close to Halloween (they rent/sell Halloween costumes & makeup). I said that I'd prefer to go to church with my family, but I can if it's necessary. The owner said he goes to church too and that the shop doesn't open until 1pm.
Then he got to references and I had my pastor's name. The owner asked. "which church?" Long story short he is good friends with a family that goes to my church, The Merritts. Jimmy worked with the Merritts at the Ponder steakhouse, Elaine is friends with their youngest daughter, Larissa, and Micah dated one of the other daughters. The man said "I think this is gonna work out". He is calling me tomorrow or Sunday to let me know when to show up. :) He said that he hires people for the Halloween rush and keeps 2 or 3 for the rest of the year. He said he'd start me out at Part Time and increase it later if it works out. Sounds good to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This Is indeed wonderful!!!!! I am very proud of you and I know that you will do a great job. I have seen your work, and you will be a great asset to this store - they have a jewel!!!
Much Love
Hope